Toronto Public Library Foundation was established in 1997 as a registered charity. Our mission is to provide essential resources for the enhancement of Toronto Public Library and to allocate funds to priority needs not supported by municipal funding.
Urgent needs for the Library include: improved and expanded collections, enhanced programs and services, upgraded technology, and revitalized community spaces to respond to the changing needs of the people of Toronto.
Since its inception, Toronto Public Library Foundation has raised over $55 million in support of Toronto Public Library priority needs.
The Foundation’s long-range goal is to build an endowment fund that will generate sufficient income to support enhanced library programs, collections and services in perpetuity.
An investment in the Library is an investment in Toronto’s success today and for generations to come.
Toronto’s Library plays a vital role in our city by making us all more resourceful, more connected and more successful every day.
For millions of Torontonians of all ages, our Library is a unique living/learning resource that delivers invaluable, 24/7 connections to the essential ingredients of a better life: personal development, social cohesion and economic growth.
No other organization delivers equal access to the vital supports that make our city economically strong and resilient: literacy, learning and skills development; civic engagement; digital access; cultural exchange and community connections.
- Toronto Public Library is the world’s busiest urban public library system
- Torontonians borrowed 33 million items in 2011 – up from 32 million items in 2010
- In 2011, over 19 million people visited 98 branches – up from 18 million people in 2010
- There were 23 million virtual visits & over 2.5 million Wi-Fi users – an increase of 126.5%
- 1.3 million people are registered Toronto Public Library cardholders
- 72% of Torontonians use Toronto Public Library
- Collections are comprised of over 11 million items including books, CDs, DVDs and eBooks, with 40 languages represented in library materials
- Staff answered 7.7 million information requests in 2011
- 865,495 participants attended 31,804 library programs – up about 10% since 2010
Visit the new Toronto Public Library Foundation website at www.tplfoundation.ca
Toronto Public Library Foundation
789 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M4W 2G8
Charitable Registration Number: 886554476RR0001